Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Home: Part 3


You know how sometimes, when you make up your mind to go to the temple on a given day, every thing that can and will go wrong does go wrong....car troubles, babysitter falls thru, work runs late etc...and you know it's just Satan, trying to keep you from being where you need to be.
Well, that's how it kinda was for us, when we made up our minds to move to Taylor. The housing market collapsed,  which not only affected our ability to sell our home in the valley, but it also affected Adan's ability to  work and provide for our financial needs,  the Town of Taylor kept giving us the run around with our building permits and house plans, and to top it all off, while Adam was putting a roof on our 16ft tall detached garage, he fell and broke his back, which landed him in the hospital for a week and unable to work for a couple of months!
If we hadn't felt that Taylor was where The Lord wanted us to be, we likely would've thrown in the towel. Trust me, there were times we wanted to.
I remember one day, Adam and I were talking about what we were going to do for work once we got to Taylor.  Adam had just gotten his contractors license and we were in the process of setting up our own grading and excavating business. But as I mentioned, the housing market had just collapsed and it hit the Taylor/Snowflake area as hard as everywhere else.  We were also worried, because Adam's injury had set the building of our house back a couple of months which meant, we'd be living in our fifth wheel and trying to build as winter was setting in. These, among other concerns were weighing heavily on our minds. Adam left that evening to drive up to Taylor to try and get the building permit for our house approved and to work on setting up the "barn" (our detached garage) for us to move into. 
He called me late that night to let me know he had arrived safely and he told me about an experience he had while he was driving.  When he left our home he was feeling a lot of stress and despair. He felt as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders and was wondering what he was getting our family into. It was extra dark that night which only added to his dark mood. He plugged in his iPod  and decided a little Mormon tabernacle choir might help his mood.
He heard these words:

Lead kindly light amid the encircling gloom; lead thou me on!
The night is dark and I am far from home; lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet ; I don't ask to see 
The distant scene,  one step enough for me.

He told me that as he heard those words the spirit spoke to him, and comforted him. He knew that although we couldn't  see what lay ahead for us, The Lord would guide us and provide for us along our way.  

As Adam told me of his experience, I felt the comforting spirit as well.  I knew things would O.K.  and moving to Taylor would be a blessing for our family.

From that moment on it was "Full steam ahead"! 
We never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment